Teaching Definition in Writing
2. Number them 1-21(?)
3. Then have students choose a number and therefore a word to define. Then write down the student's name by the word. [They may trade words if you wish.]
4. For next class the student writes a definition, at least 1/3 page, typed, of the word assigned. **They should use the definition techniques such as negation and stipulation mentioned in the definition chapter. [Annette Rottenberg Elements of Argument 5th ed.]
5. They read the definition out loud to the class.
6. **The class is asked if they can add anything. [Perhaps they should be told to **add one thing to the definition.[?]
7. Then they turn in their definitions. **Perhaps keep several for samples.
Return to: Teaching Composition Page